Here are the 23+ best free OCR software for windows and mac. With OCR, electronic equipment identifies shapes by detecting dark and light patterns on printed characters and then translates those into computer text via character recognition.
A text-based image is recognized and converted into an editable document by detecting the text. OCR serves two purposes: storing paper documents and reusing them.
At the same time, OCR can search for documents in order to streamline workflows and make them easier to handle, so most companies will use OCR software.
What is the best OCR software to use? We will introduce you to 23+ free OCR programs that will help you handle your files more efficiently.
23+ Best Free OCR Software for Windows & Mac
Using Symphony, scanned files can be searched using the OCR technology in the back end. You can submit PDFs, TIFF files (Tagged Image File Format), e-faxes, emails, and other document types to this service.
- Symphony OCR helps you to detect text from PDF files containing scanned images.
- You can copy and paste data from the documents.
- It allows you to search text in the document.
- This tool can be integrated with SharePoint, ShareFile, etc.
In addition to scanning documents, FineScanner can also digitize books and convert them into a searchable format. Following the scan, you will be able to edit the output file.
- It can read your mobile screen, including icons, links, buttons, etc.
- FineScanner allows virtual assistant commands to get PDF, scan documents, open books.
- Output can be shared with other people.
- You can use it on an iPad or iPhone.
3. Text Fairy
Text Fairy is an Android app for OCR. It can view the text from photos or images taken by the camera. It can recognize print in more than 50 different languages.
- It can extract text from scanned images.
- This app automatically modifies the image accurately for a better result.
- You can edit the resulted file.
- It can convert images into PDF files.
- Text Fairy does not show any advertisement while using it.
4. Softworks OCR
With Softworks, you can extract information from images using OCR software. As a result, it helps you minimize manual entry while providing an automated solution for your business.
- It assists you to improve the quality of scanned documents.
- Softworks OCR accepts numerous input sources.
- It uses a system vision algorithm to analyze the processed page.
- This tool can detect existing layers of text within an image or document.
5. Soda PDF
Soda PDF turns paper documents and images into editable PDF files. Multiple documents can be recognized simultaneously.
- Soda PDF supports you to change font type, style, and size.
- It stores files on the server for 24 hours.
- You can use this app online and offline.
- PDF files having images can be easily converted into plain text.
- It encrypts the URL between the server and the browser.
Chronoscan is an application for document processing and data extraction. Flexibility and user-friendliness are its hallmarks. Using this tool, you can scan documents in less time.
- It allows you to scan a large volume of documents.
- You can easily filter out text from PDF files.
- Chronoscan allows you to upload documents to the cloud.
- You can export all the documents to ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software.
- It assists you to reduce data entry work.
- This software helps you to quickly organize your documents.
A simple software package called Readiris converts text from paper or image documents automatically. This feature makes editing files easier rather than retyping them.
- It supports numerous output formats.
- Readiris can listen to your books in a format specified by you.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Chronos can assist you to edit the embedded text in an image.
- You can export documents to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
8. Amazon Textract
Amazon Texttract is a tool for extracting text from scanned documents. Automation of document workflow, fast processing of many documents is possible with it.
- It recognizes content written in form or table.
- This tool uses API to get data from documents.
- It automatically extracts data from forms.
- Textract can read virtually any document.
- Automatically identifies key information.
- You can adjust document quality in percentage.
- It is integrated with Amazon’s Augmented AI service for document processing.
9. Evernote Scannable
Evernote Scannable is a mobile app that lets you transcribe paper into digital files. A file can be shared with other people using this application.
- You can scan slips, business cards, contracts, etc.
- It automatically rotates, crops, and adjusts images.
- Evernote allows you to export documents as JPG and PDF files.
- You can easily extract contact details from business cards.
- This app can be utilized on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
- Preview images before approving them.
- It allows you to send the converted file via email or text message.
Infrrd is a solution for OCR. You can convert documents into easily readable files with this program. Contracts, financial documents, and medical documents can be filtered using the app.
- Infrrd app can see titles and text quickly.
- It allows you to filter text from Infrrd using machine learning.
- You can integrate with your current CRM (Customer Relationship Management).
- This tool utilizes AI (Artificial Intelligence) technology to extract data from the invoice.
- You can classify documents according to category.
- It gives an OCR solution for all document formats.
11. Text Scanner [OCR]
Text Scanner [OCR] is an Android application that scans text. Text can be converted from images using this program. Automatically recognize characters from a photo with this tool.
- It supports 50+ languages.
- You can scan the handwritten paper and change it into a digital format.
- Text Scanner [OCR] helps you to share a file with others via email.
- You can keep the file to Google Drive.
- It supports communication software like Google Hangouts and Google+ social media websites.
12. Scanbot SDK
The Scanbot SDK allows you to scan and create documents right from your phone. With this SDK (System Development Kit), Android and iOS projects can be easily integrated.
- It automatically recognizes text from scanned images.
- You can extract text from documents and convert it into searchable and editable files.
- This app supports all major operating systems.
- You can use it offline.
- Scanbot SDK can understand Latin, Arabic, Asian, etc. characters.
- You can scan PDF documents having a multi-page.
13. OCR Text Scanner
Text can be recognized in scanned documents using OCR Text Scanner. This app makes handwritten and typed documents editable by turning them into an editable format.
- It can recognize text in more than 30 languages.
- You can copy text from the clipboard.
- OCR Text Scanner encourages you to share a document via email.
- It automatically identifies text written in the scanned document.
- This tool helps you to save a quotation written in a magazine or book.
- You can utilize the OCR Text Scanner online and offline.
- OCR Text Scanner supports you to send the extracted file to other people via email.
- It can identify typed text format.
14. Google Cloud
Text can be detected in images using the Google Cloud Vision API. You can convert PDF files, PNG files, JPEG files, etc. to machine-readable text using this tool.
- You can use this application on a computer, an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, and more.
- It can detect handwriting in images.
- This tool can extricate and save text from uploaded images.
- It triggers the cloud function in order to save text to online storage.
- Google Cloud automatically image files located in the cloud.
OneNote is an optical character recognition product that allows you to copy text from a printout or picture. The software allows you to make changes to the file.
- You can turn data written in the image into text with just one click.
- It allows you to extract text from printouts.
- OneNote supports you to extract text from a business card.
- You can paste copied text utilizing the keyword shortcut.
OnlineOCR recognizes characters and text in PDF documents and images. Over 15 images can be converted to editable text formats per hour using the software.
- It holds more than 46 languages, including English, Chinese, French, etc.
- OnlineOCR can control BMP (Bit Map), PNG (Portable Network Graphics), zip files, etc.
- You can change text into Word, Excel, RTF, and plain text format.
- This service enables you to integrate converted files into your website.
17. Adobe Acrobat
With Adobe Acrobat, you can convert scanned PDF files and images into searchable and editable documents. The fonts look similar to printouts.
- You can instantly edit any printed document.
- It enables you to simply cut and paste the text into other applications.
- Acrobat allows you to export the file to Microsoft Office.
- You can convert scanned documents to PDF files and move the data from one location to different.
- This tool assists you to keep the look and feel of documents like the original one.
18. OmniPage Ultimate
A digital document can be easily edited and searched with OmniPage Ultimate. Almost any file format can be scanned with minimal effort.
- Provide ready-to-use document formats.
- You can combine this application with mobile and printers.
- It carries a wide range of applications, including Microsoft Office, HTML, and more.
- You can open this app from the network.
- This app can recognize in more than 120 languages.
19. ABBYY Cloud Reader
The ABBYY Cloud Reader recognizes handwritten and printed pages. The program can recognize over 200 languages. You can use this tool to create searchable Word, Excel, PDF, etc. files from PDF/image files.
- It supports Mobile devices and desktop PC.
- This tool can recognize receipts and business cards.
- ABBYY Cloud Reader gives REST (Representational State Transfer).
- It converts recognized data into XML (Extensible Markup Language).
- This tool gives a library for Java, .NET, iOS, and Python.
20. Cisdem pdf converter
With Cisdem, you can easily convert PDF files. Text, images, tables, and other elements can also be retained along with their original formatting using the tool. It is capable of converting PDFs to MS Office, Apple iWork, and images.
- It assists you to scan PDF into searchable documents.
- You can transform multiple PDFs into various document formats.
- Generate PDF from Word, PowerPoint, HTML, EPUB, etc.
- Supported platform: iOS.
A web service called NanoNets allows you to digitize documents and PDFs using OCR. It can be used to convert over a hundred scanned documents into formats such as XML, PDF, and others.
- You can define a category of text for accurate detection.
- It allows you to upload up to 50 images of each text category.
- NanoNets automatically type out characters from carried images.
- You can get your converted files within a few hours.
- It can change the human-readable text into structured data using OCR.
- This app allows you to extract information from images.
It enables you to edit scanned PDF files online by converting them to editable text formats. Adding files is as easy as clicking a button.
- It allows you to select more than one language for recognizing text.
- This tool encrypts your personal information.
- You can turn images and PDF into PPT, TXT, RTF, etc. formats.
- LightPDF provides support on the phone.
- You can scan files having more than 30 MB in size.
A service called OCR.space is used to convert text-containing images into editable formats. Furthermore, you can get PDF text through this site.
- It provides you to choose a specific language for your document.
- This service can also change a screenshot of text documents.
- You can use Ocr.space without any registration.
- Ocr.space enables you to see an editable file into a multi-column text format.
- It does not store your private data on the server.
24. Easy Screen OCR
You can convert images into editable text files with Easy Screen OCR. A screenshot can be converted into text using this software.
- It helps with a drag and drop facility to upload files.
- Easy Screen OCR removes uploaded files within 30 minutes.
- You can select text from images without registration.
- This service uses Google’s learning service to keep your cloud data safe.
- You can add up to five pictures for the conversion.
- It can recognize 100+ languages.
- Easy Screen OCR allows you to set a shortcut for easy access.